Saturday, January 21, 2012

VALENTINE’S DAY


There’s a pleasant chill in the air, and I heard a neighbor’s daughter making plans for Valentine’s Day… I couldn’t resist thinking of something that happened three years back on Valentine’s Day...
The V Day dawned bright and clear. There was an inexplicable thrill and chill in the air. Even though married for years, my daughter’s youthful passion and excitement for Valentine’s day celebrations had rubbed off on me too, and I found myself hoping that some random gift or greeting card would come my way; either from my husband or from a caring friend. Even a box of chocolates would do, I reflected hopefully…
The door bell chimed and there was a courier person at the door. Both my daughter and I made a beeline for the door. It was a beautifully wrapped gift , and inevitably for my daughter- a gift from her long time best buddy.
My husband was poring over the newspapers, completely oblivious to any V day celebrations. I sidled up to him and informed him that it was Valentine’s Day. All I could elicit out of him was a grunt in reply. Not to be discouraged, I asked him about a gift. He looked at me incredulously as though I had gone out of my mind, and went back to busying himself with the days’ news.
Well, the media and souvenir stores had done their bit to create an atmosphere of romance and thrill in the air. As I sat around racking my brains as to who might possibly send me a gift (a near vain hope, but no harm in hoping), my mobile beeped. It was an SMS from my long time buddy Jatin. We were great buddies and were fond of sending funny messages up and down.
The message was – Send me your address.
I texted back- Why?
Reply- Please send. I am coming over to your place.
Needless to say, I had my hopes high. At last, a good friend of mine had sensed my need to be cheered up and had decided to drop in with a bouquet of flowers, or a box of chocolates!!!
I immediately texted him my address and even ventured to ask him when he was turning up. He replied that he would let me know.
With each chime of the hour, I waited with bated breath for my friend to turn up. Finally, it was late evening and yet there was no sign of him. I texted him asking whether he would be coming and he replied that he was on his way.
The clock struck 7. I sat there in my living room feeling irritated for being kept waiting inexorably. My daughter shot me a pitying look but I assured her that my friend would definitely turn up with either a box of chocolates or a bouquet of flowers, in honor of our long standing SMS buddy ship.I thought I heard her snigger but decided to pointedly ignore her.
At last, the door bell rang and I hastened to open the door. Yes! My friend had come! I opened the door to find a beautiful lady, Jatin and his son waiting out there, their faces wreathed in happy grins. He introduced me to his beautiful wife and we struck a rapport immediately. He then handed me an ornately crafted invitation card inviting me with family to attend his daughter’s “Arangetram” the coming week. I promised to do so, gladly.
After exchanging pleasantries, they left and as soon as the door closed, my daughter collapsed into fits of laughter. “Mom, where are your boxes of chocolates and bouquets of flowers?”
Undeterred, I replied- Ahem, it is not the box of chocolates or bouquets of flowers that is important. His gesture of friendship counts most. He brought his family over to meet me and he thought it most important to invite me first for his daughter’s dance recital. What more do I want than that most beautiful gesture of friendship?’
Needless to say, I cherished that gesture of his more than any box of chocolates or gifts. Even to this day, we remain the greatest of friends. Yes, Valentine’s Day is not only for couples or lovers. It’s a day to honor true friendship as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment